Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Some Inspiration

Poetry is one of my favorite forms of writing. After scripture, it's my favorite type of literature to read. Recently a friend gave me a copy of Footprints of a Pilgrim, by Ruth Bell Graham and it has quickly become one of my favorites. The book is not  just poetry, it's an auto biography of sorts of her life as a MK and preachers wife and mother. I have found myself in recent months struggling with my identity as a Mom and Christ follower. I feel so alone and and some days quite doubtful if I really am making the "right" decisions.
This piece of prose sums it up for me quite well. I hope you enjoy it as well.

For all these smallnesses
 I thank You, Lord:
small children
and small needs;
small meals to cook,
small talk to heed,
and a small book
from which to read
small stories;
small hurts to heal,
small disappointments, too,
as real
as ours;
small glories
to discover
in bugs,
pebbles,
flowers.
When day is through
my mind is small,
my strength is gone;
and as I gather
each dear one
I pray, "Bless each
for Jesus sake----
such angels sleeping, imps awake!"
What wears me out
are little things:
angels minus
shining wings.
Forgive me Lord,
if I have whined---
it takes so much
to keep them shined;
yet each small rub
has it's reward,
for they have blessed me.
Thank you Lord.

-Ruth Bell Graham

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing that was beautiful